9 Days Tangkahan Bukitlawang jungle trek and Lake Toba tour – embark on a nine-day and eight–night exclusive tour of Bukit Lawang, Tangkahan, and Lake Toba.
Bukit Lawang is a forest area famous for its rushing and clear streams of the river as well as a place of observation of Sumatran orangutans.
The orangutan (Pongo abelii) is one of three species of orangutans, which only live on the island of Sumatra and Borneo.
It is also the gateway to the UNESCO-listed world heritage site of Tropical Rainforest of Sumatra.
During the trekking, see orangutans and other animals, such as birds, monkeys, and gibbons.
One of the favorite activities there is tubing, i.e., using inflated truck tubes to float in the river. You can also visit the bat cave and enjoy the waterfall while playing or swimming in the river.
Tangkahan is a breeding ground for wild elephants on a clean river in the Sumatra’s tropical forest.
The unique activity there (rarely found in other tourist attractions) is the opportunity to bathe the elephant and ride it while roaming the forest.
Various kinds of trees and tropical forest vegetation combined with hilly land make Tangkahan not only an attraction but also a place to learn about nature, living creatures, flora and fauna, the rivers, waterfalls, hot water, valleys and even rare plants such as Rafflesia.
Samosir is the center of the Toba Batak culture. Many traditional houses, artifacts and ancient relics are there.
You can see the island’s unique and fascinating heritage in its clusters of tribal houses with roofs that curve upwards like buffalo horns, white-washed churches that dot the landscape, and ancient stone tombs and monuments.
- Bukit Lawang
- Sipiso-Piso Waterfall
- Samosir Island
- Ambarita Village
- Simanindo Batak Museum
We will pick you up at the airport or hotel in Medan. Book your flight to arrive at Kualanamu International Airport, Medan, early in the morning or during the day.
We will drop you off at your hotel or any of the two airports (Medan or Siborong-borong). Book your return flight from any of the airport.
Itinerary North Sumatra Tour 9 Days 8 Nights
Day 1: Arrival at Kualanamu / Pick Up At Hotel
We pick you up at Kualanamu International Airport or your hotel in Medan. Ride on private transportation to accommodation at Bukit Lawang. Stay overnight there.
Day 2: Medan – Tangkahan – Bukitlawang
Early morning around 6:30 am leave to Tangkahan (two-hour drive by car). After that start at 9 am help elephant washing and then do elephant trekking for one hour.
Relax at the river and take a swim in the river and then to the hot spring. Get back to Bukit Lawang in the afternoon and stay overnight there.
Day 3: Jungle Trek In Bukitlawang Leuser Park
After breakfast around 8 am set up for the 3-day trek and then walk to the jungle (for the itinerary see trek column) and stay overnight in the jungle.
Day 4: Stay In The Jungle
stay overnight in the jungle.
Day 5: Jungle To Hotel
This day back from a 3-day trek, around noon you can go to the bat cave after the tour to the village. Stay one more night in Bukit Lawang.
Day 6: Bukitlawang – Samosir Island Lake Toba
In the morning after breakfast, get ready for the journey to Lake Toba. Stop at Sipiso-Piso waterfall and enjoy with the spectacular view while you have lunch.
Continue the journey to Lake Toba, and by late afternoon cross to Samosir island by ferry. Drop to the accommodation and stay overnight in Lake Toba.
Day 7: Samosir Island Lake Toba
The following morning after breakfast get ready for the tour around the Samosir island.
Visit the Ambarita village. Afterward, visit Simanindo to see Batak museum and Batak traditional dance performance at 10:30 am.
After that visit the weaver of sarong/ulos or Batak blanket (handmade). Have lunch and back to the accommodation to stay one more night on Lake Toba.
Day 8: Samosir Island Free By Your Own
This day just relaxing (free program) stay one more night in Lake Toba.
Day 9: Samosir Island – Transfer Out
Back to airport or hotel, a journey of up to 5 hours to Medan or Siborong-borong silangit airport.
Adults: US$ 995/person
Children: US$ 955/person (aged 5-18 years)
- All taxes and handling charges
- Three-night accommodation at Bukit Lawang with breakfast
- Three-night accommodation on Lake Toba with breakfast
- Hotel/airport pickup and drop-off
- Local transportation (air-conditioned vehicles)
- Entrance tickets, camera levies, trekking licenses
- Snacks and bottled water in the car during the trip
- Local guide (English speaking)
- Driver/guide expenses
- Stops for sightseeing at your request during tours
- 30 minutes of local calling (5 minutes international) on a loaned mobile phone
- Alternatively, an Indonesian SIM card for your unlocked mobile device
- Free Wi-Fi onboard vehicles
- Local travel insurance (accident medical expenses reimbursement, limitations apply)
- Porter to carry your luggage from airport to the accommodation.
- 24-hour emergency contact number
- Airfare and visa
- Travel insurance
- Lunch and dinner (food stalls are many)
- Driver/guide tips
- Personal expenses
- Services not mentioned as being included
- We will send email confirmation within 24 hours of your order
- Child rate applies when sharing with two paying adults only
- An adult must accompany children
- It is a private tour with a minimum of 2 participants
- Accommodation included is Sumatran standard guesthouses with western toilet and either shower or traditional wash with bucket and scoop, hot water available at certain guesthouses.
- A moderate amount of walking is involved
- Due to uneven surfaces, this trip is not for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair
- Passport name, number, expiry, and country are required for all participants at time of booking
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- No elephant trekking on Friday
We will refund your payment that we have received in full (100%) if you cancel your order at least seven days in advance of scheduled departure, 50% if you cancel it between three dan seven days.
There is no refund if you cancel it less than three days before the departure. Note that payments by credit cards are subject to charges, a portion of which may be non-refundable.